How to Alleviate Employment Gaps on Your Resume
Employments gaps can create additional issues for job seekers already having a difficult time with their job search. Huge employment gaps are especially challenging to overcome with some prospective employees who may question your commitment and dedication to your career. For this reason, it may be essential to fill in employment gaps with volunteer service, part-time employment, side hustles, and even courses that you may have taken while unemployed.
Volunteer work is especially critical, particularly if it leverages skills and expertise that are useful in your next job or career move. Though unpaid, volunteer service is still relevant as the skills used are the same, whether paid or unpaid. The knowledge, skills, and qualities you obtain and use in completing your volunteer work are marketable and transferable. To successfully utilize your volunteer work experience, you should focus on skills closest to the jobs to which you intend to apply. Here are some tips to help you update your resume with volunteer experience:
- Include your volunteer service in the professional experience section of your resume and treat them as you would a job. Remember, you are selling what you did in those roles, not whether you were paid or not.
- Use strong verbs to describe your duties and focus on your strengths and accomplishments in each position.
- Do not minimize your duties because you think they are unimportant. Everything you do makes you a better employee.
- Quantify your success as much as possible to show your value.
- Be confident in yourself and your skills. Trust the fact that you are continuously learning, be it a paid or volunteer position, and that your skills are relevant and usable in your next jobs.
Volunteer work is helpful in building skills and gaining new experience. Your prior work is meaningful even though it was unpaid. Do you need help from a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW)? APEX Career Services can write a compelling resume that highlights all your knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs). Let APEX Career Services help you! Contact us today at 913-815-1565 or www.ApexCareerServices.com/service.